Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Home     Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Minutes Page

Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Minutes, 5/28/2016 Board Meeting minutes

Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Board Meeting

May 28, 2016 Initial meeting of the 2016-2017 PMPO Board, following the elections.

Board Members Present:

Terri Bailey, Glenn Borland, Robert Carlyle, Donna Dose, George Evangelou, James Ewen, Brenda Fromlath, Elizabeth Getzoff, Sue Hanson, Rosemary Johnston, Michael Pique, Alan Serry, Yvonne Vaucher, Michael Walsh.

Board Members Absent:

Heather Beer.

The PMPO Board meeting was convened about 12:15 PM May 28, 2016, following the Annual Meeting, at the Palomar Mountain Fire Department. The Treasurer's and Secretary's reports were deferred. The Board approved Elizabeth “Betsy” Tainer as the alternate for Elizabeth Getzoff.

Election of Officers

The following were elected for one year terms: Glenn Borland, Chair; Michael Walsh, Vice-Chair; George Evangelou, Treasurer; and Michael Pique, Secretary.

Fire Department Staffing:

Rosemary Johnston will write the county Board of Supervisors urging full-time staffing coverage for the Palomar Mountain Fire Department. She will work from the points prepared by Keith Ronchetti, Fire Board member, and list the names of the PMPO Board Members as signatories.

Telephone Number Fridge Magnets:

The 2011 PMPO/Fire Safe Council magnets need updating, which seems a suitable joint project of the PMPO, the Fire Safe Council, and the Community Center. The Board approved $750 for printing updated magnets. We should also put these numbers on our PMPO web site,

Breakfast receipts and expenses:

The 2016 breakfast served 104 adults, 10 children, and 8 firefighter comps. Donna Dose said we received $771 including donations and strawberry sales; expenses were $98 for the berries and supplies. The Board discussed raising the price ($3) and decided to keep it the same for next year. Brenda Fromlath would prefer providing hanging name tags rather than adhesive, and suggests bringing blank tags and a marker so people can make their own.

Treasurer and bank signature cards:

Treasurer Evangelou asked for and received approval to pay the 2016 newsletter printing bill. He will check with Chase bank to find out how we update the list of people authorized to sign checks.

Newsletter preparation notes:

Brenda Fromlath recounted some snags encountered in the workflow this year. Next year we will simplify the process by having her, or whoever is the article collector, more formally hand off the document to the copy editors and proof readers. The authors will be held to March 31 deadline for their text so we can make Susan Humason's April 13 deadline for her to do the layout. Each article will have a date along with an author byline.

“Highway to the Stars” road signs:

Terri Bailey and Alan Serry will pursue again marking county Highway S6 with distinctive historic signs, at least along South Grade and Canfield Roads.

Major new prescribed burning planned:

Michael Pique says Palomar resident Jerry Fisher has learned of new plans to deliberately burn large parts of the San Luis Rey valley next to Palomar. The deadline for public comment on the plan is very soon: May 31. Rosemary Johnston will call Jerry to learn more about the plans.

Gold Spotted Oak Borer:

Betsy Tainer wants to know what rules we need to meet to post signs telling visitors not to bring up oak firewood, and what we would tell visitors to do with firewood they may have in their cars - such as our providing disposal boxes along the South and East Grades with some mesh bags. Do all the campgrounds (State Park, US Forest Service, and private) already have signs and notices on their web sites? Terri Bailey says the county building department has the rules for how the signs are constructed and the road department has the rules for where the signs can go.

Next Meetings:

The next Board meetings are

Saturday September 3, 2016, 10 AM (Labor Day weekend)

Saturday December 3, 2016, 11:00 AM (Thanksgiving is November 24)

Saturday February 25, 2017, 10:00 AM

March 2017 - possible newsletter planning meeting

Possible April meeting [Easter is April 16, 2017]

Saturday or Sunday April 22-23 or April 29-30 2017 - newsletter mailing preparation

Saturday May 27, 2017 - Annual general meeting (10 AM) and pancake breakfast (8 AM)

Michael Pique will request use of the Fire Station for the four scheduled meetings.

The meeting was adjourned about 1:00 PM.

Michael Pique, Secretary. Minutes approved by PMPO Board **not yet***

Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Home     Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Minutes Page